Daily vehicle rental rates include:
– 15% GST
– Unlimited Kilometres
– Airport transfer upon vehicle collection and return during office hours
– Linen and bedding
– Kitchen equipment
– General Equipment – List can be found on Equipment Tab
– In Vehicles Tablet with GPS, travel and campervan operation tips and more
– On Road care 7 days a week via a NZ toll free helpline – 0800 755 558
– Free admission for the driver at Waitomo Glowworm Caves – Must present rental agreement to staff to redeem.
– All campervans are insured for damages and for damages to property of a Third Party. Conditions Apply
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan
The Explorer 4 Berth campervan is perfect for a spacious trip away and ideal for a family of four or group of friends.
The Britz Explorer 4 Berth Motorhome includes many of our own innovative features. All 4 passengers sit up front together while travelling New Zealand, with two purpose built seats behind the driver. At day’s end just swivel the front seats around to create a lounge area for enjoying a drink, playing games or viewing your favourite DVD.
Internal access between the driver’s cab and the rear living area, swivelling front seats, shower and toilet, refrigerator with freezer, microwave, excellent kitchen facilities , LCD screen & DVD player and a filtered water system are just some of the features. Everything you need for your New Zealand campervan holiday experience.
Day & Night Layouts
2 Child or 2 Booster Seats can be fitted to the double seat directly behind the driver.
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan Specifications
|Vehicle Model||Fiat or Ford|
|Height x length x width||3.25 x 7.22 x 2.28 metres|
|Internal height||2.15 metres|
|Engine specification||Turbo diesel|
|Fuel consumption (approx)||9-11km/litre|
|Fuel capacity||75 litres|
|Air-conditioning||Driver’s cab only|
|Power supply (volts)||12v battery & 240v mains|
|Capacity (max. people)||4 Adults|
|Internal access||Walk through to rear cabin|
|Seatbelts||2 in driver’s cab and 2 in main cabin|
|Baby/booster seat fittings||2 Child seats or 2 Booster seats|
|Shower and toilet||Yes|
|Hot/cold pressurised water||Yes|
|Fresh water tank capacity||82 litres|
|Waste water holding tank capacity||82 litres|
|No. of beds & bed dimensions||2 double beds
Double (over cab) – 2.10m x 1.60m
Double (rear) – 2.10m x 1.65m plus
|Gas bottle capacity||9kgs|
|Gas stove||4 burner|
|Refrigerator – 12V small freezer unit||140 litres|
|Microwave||Yes – operates when connected to mains|
|Heating||Heating Drivers Cab (electric)
Heating Main Cab (240V, diesel or gas) – cannot be requested in Britz fleet
|Radio/CD player||Yes, in drivers cab|
|LCD Screen & DVD player||Yes|
|Bicycle racks & bicycles||Available for Hire – 3 bikes maximum (see Extras tab)|
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan Included Equipment
Please note that this guide is subject to change without notice.
Apartment style kitchen equipment:
|Hotel quality linen & bedding:
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan Extra Items for Hire
Items should be booked at the same time as the campervan
April 2018 -Mar 2019
Child / Booster Seats
NZ $36 per rental
NZ $36 per rental
Awning (can only be fitted to certain vehicles)
NZ $5 per day
First Aid Kit (supplied to all rentals & charged if opened on your journey)
NZ $35 for purchase
Souvenir Hema Road Atlas
NZ $25 for purchase
Electronic Adaptor Plug
NZ $14 for purchase
Extra Duvet/Doona Blanket
NZ $16 per rental
NZ $18 per rental
Mobile Phone Wifi
NZ $35 for 1GB NZ $65 for 5GB
Bicycles for Hire
Bicycles for hire to help make your motorhome holiday even more exciting, Britz Campervans has bicycle racks and modern bicycles that you can hire at a reasonable rental. Racks can be fitted to the following Britz models: Venturer, Venturer Plus, Explorer and Frontier vehicles only. Unfortunately Maui’s fleet are unable to offer this service as bicycle racks cannot be fitted to its campervans.
You should note the following information:
- Minimum hire period is 3 days
- All bike hire must be made at the same time as hiring a campervan and a bike rack to avoid disappointment in availability of bikes
- A bike rack must be hired when hiring a Britz campervan
- Payment for bike hire must be made in full to Britz Campervans on pickup
- Bicycles are all general purpose mountain bikes suitable for both road use and off road conditions
- Similar children’s models are available on request
- Child seats are available and can be fitted on request
A bicycle rack will be fitted to the motorhome at the campervan depot in Auckland & Christchurch only. Clients will then be required to drive to the nearby Natural High Ltd location to collect their bicycles. This enables clients to receive a quality bike of the correct size and ensures that clients receive a full briefing on the use and maintenance of the bicycles. Natural High Ltd locations are as follows:
AUCKLAND 10 Uenuku Way Mangere CHRISTCHURCH 690A Harewood Road Harewood
- Bicycle & rack hire is not available from the Brtiz Queenstown depot. Only available when collecting or returning to Auckland or Christchurch depots only.
- A maximum of three bicycles can be carried on all Frontier and Explorer models in the Britz Campervans fleet
- A maximum of two bicycles can be carried on all Venturer and Venturer Plus models in the Britz Campervans fleet
- A helmet (compulsory in New Zealand), cycle lock and repair kit are supplied with each bicycle
- There is no extra cost for one way hire of bicycles
- The hirer is responsible for repair or replacement costs in cases of damage or loss of the bike and accessories. This includes but is not limited to scratches to bike frames, buckled wheels, damage by keas, missing pumps, locks, multi tool kits, tyre levers and computers
- The cost to hire a bike is NZ$12 per day and a bike rack is NZ$50 per campervan
- A NZ$400 bond applies to each bike hire. Insurance is available from Natural High for an additional charge. Without insurance Natural High reserves the right to charge for damage or replacement costs
- No refunds will be made for early returns, late pickups, no shows or changing your mind on the day of the pick up
Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan Insurance
Standard Insurance provides cover for:
- Damages to the vehicle or to the property of a third party.
- The customer is responsible for the first NZ$7,500 (“the liability”) of the cost of any damage to third party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident. (Does not include single vehicle rollover)
- The NZ$7,500 liability applies in respect to each claim, not rental.
- Public Liability up to NZ$20,000,000.
Standard Insurance Details:
- A Liability Deposit of NZ$7,500 must be paid on collection of the motorhome. The hirer will be responsible for the first NZ$7,500 of any costs incurred due to damage to the hired vehicle or third party property. (Does not include single vehicle rollover).
- Damages covered include windscreen and tyre damage, towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break-in or vandalism with the exception of the “Exclusions.” This also includes the cost of the daily rental for the period the vehicle is being repaired.
- In addition to the costs to repair a damaged vehicle, an administration fee of NZ$60 may apply per claim.
- The Liability Deposit of NZ$7,500 must be paid by credit card and will be debited immediately on pick-up using Visa, MasterCard or American Express. A 2% credit card administration fee will apply to all Visa and Mastercard transactions and 4.6% credit card administration fee will apply to all American Express transactions.
- The Liability Deposit is debited to the hirers credit card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit card and that the amount does not exceed the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit card.
- The Liability Deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the liability deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned without damage to the vehicle or third party property and within the terms of the rental agreement. For American Express credit card holders, the 4.6% credit card fee is non-refundable.
- Any further bank or international transactions fees that are charged by a customers credit card provider by the Liability Deposit transaction will not be refunded by Maui or Britz.
- Payment of the Liability Deposit is per incident and should damage be incurred to the hired vehicle or third party property a further Liability Deposit will be required.
- The authorisation will be cancelled on return of the vehicle to the agreed drop off depot, on the due drop off date, in a clean undamaged condition, with no damage incurred to the hired vehicle or third party property, and with a full tank of fuel and empty toilet cassette and waste water tank.
- Returning a vehicle that is not in the agreed upon state as per the rental agreement will incur further fees and charges paid direct. Fees that may be charged include:
- NZ$250 cleaning fee, if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition.
- NZ$125 soiling fee, if the toilet and wastewater tank is not emptied on return.
Exchange Rate / Currency Variations
All credit and debit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations or bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Maui & Britz does not accept liability for any such variation or any interest incurred on such amounts.
Maui & Britz Inclusive Pack Insurance (Recommended)
The cost to upgrade from Standard Rates to Maui or Britz Inclusive Pack is NZ$55 per day and will include the following:
- Liability Reduction Option: Reduces Vehicle Liability from NZ$7,500 to Nil.
- Single vehicle rollover cover.
- Wi-Fi in the vehicle, including 1GB of data per hire
- Extra driver fees
- Linen exchange: Call into one of the Maui/Britz Depots at any time during your hire and we will supply you with a clean set of linen
- Picnic Table and Chairs (chairs per person travelling)
- Baby/Booster Seats – on request (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- Snow Chains if required
- Portable fan heater if required
Express Return Pack (Optional)
There is an additional booking option available to customers when booking a Maui or Britz vehicle. Once customers have chosen their preferred insurance option either Standard Insurance or adding an Inclusive Pack. Customers can choose to add a further option to their rental agreement called the Express Return Pack. The Express Return Pack gives customers the ability to return the vehicle with less hassle back to the depot without having to do the handover responsibilities that are listed in the rental agreement. This is suited for customers that are time-poor or have time constraints to get to their next destination at the end of the hire.
The cost to add the Express Return Pack for a 15 day hire or less is NZ$299, 16 days – 24 days is NZ$399 and for all vehicle hires that are 25 days or more a fee of NZ$499 will apply. This will be charged to the the customers credit card on collection of the vehicle. This is not compulsory and customers can choose not to take the additional option if it does not suit. For customers that choose to add the Express Return Pack to their rental agreement, the following benefits will apply:
- Return an empty gas bottle at the end of the hire
- Return the vehicle with an empty petrol/fuel tank
- Toilet and Waste Water Emptying Service
- Road User Charge Recovery Fee (Diesel tax)
- Express Return Key
Insurance Exclusions (Applies to Standard & Inclusive Packs)
Applicable to both Standard, Maui & Britz Inclusive Packs Rates. The hirer will be fully liable for any damage to the Maui or Britz vehicle or third party property if:
- The terms of the Rental Agreement entered into are breached.
- Any damage caused by wilful misconduct (e.g. sitting on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle or driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or negligence.
- Any damage where the customer is charged by local authorities for being careless or failing to abide by the local road rules.
- Damages that are caused by the vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway or has been abandoned.
- Replacing keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
- Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle however caused, except where liability reduction option or Maui Inclusive Pack has been purchased.
- Any single vehicle rollover except where the Maui inclusive pack has been purchased.
- Damage caused by the vehicle total load has been exceeded as stated in vehicle manual.
- Damages caused by drivers not listed on the rental agreement or any un-licenced drivers or drivers that do not hold a full and open drivers licence. No learners or probationary licence holders.
- Any damaged caused to the vehicle due to the use of snow chains.
- Damaged caused by use of the incorrect fuels/petrol/gas
- Any water damage caused by vehicle submersion, contact with salt water, creek or river crossings, driving through flooded areas and beach driving.
- The vehicle rented may only be used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed Maui/Britz does not accept any liability.
Under both the Standard Insurance and the All Inclusive Pack options, NZ$250 is taken as an imprint to the hirer’s credit card when the vehicle is collected as a fuel & cleaning deposit. An imprint simply records a figure against the credit card of NZ$250 that Maui or Britz can debit if required. The security deposit is fully refundable on return of the vehicle to the agreed drop off depot, on the due drop off date, in a reasonably clean condition, and with a full tank of fuel and an empty toilet cassette and waste water tank.
Details of a credit card will be held, and charges made against it if necessary, to settle all traffic infringement notices (if any) incurred by the hirer with the New Zealand Traffic Authorities. If Maui/Britz Campervans pays the fine on the hirer’s behalf a NZ$60 administration fee will be charged in addition to the fine imposed.
Hirers are recommended to take personal travel insurance as our Vehicle Insurance does not provide cover for loss or damage to personal property or for personal injury.
Terms & Conditions
Read the full Terms and Conditions:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Daily vehicle rental rates include:
No, hires are calculated on a daily rate not a 24 hour basis. Therefore the first and last days are both counted when calculating the number of hire days, regardless of the time you pick up or drop off the vehicle. The above example would be an 8 day hire.
A non-refundable deposit of NZ$250 + 10% of the motorhome cost is payable immediately on receipt of confirmation. Payment of the balance must reach Relaxing Journeys no later than 90 days prior to the pick up date. Full payment information will be provided with the booking confirmation. Cancellation conditions apply.
The following Cancellation Fees will apply if a booking get cancelled:
– If cancelled up to 91 days prior to pick-up …………………………………Loss of Deposit
– If cancelled from 90 to 22 days prior to pick up………………………….Loss of Deposit & 10% of Rental
– If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up …………………………..Loss of Deposit & 20% of Rental
– If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up ……………………………………..Loss of Deposit & 50% of Rental
– If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show …………………………………100% of Rental
– If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days.
There are 3 depots located in New Zealand. They are located in Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown, All 3 depots are conveniently located near to the International and Domestic Airports. Maui Campervans and Britz Campervan requests that clients collecting or returning their vehicle to be in the office by 1530 hours. All depots are open 7 days per week, 0800 hours – 1630 hours. Customers must give adequate time to complete the required paperwork. Branches are closed on Christmas Day (25 December) and pickup and drop-off are not available on this day. Branch details are shown below:
36 Richard Pearse Drive
Ph: (09) 255 3910
159 Orchard Road
Ph: (03) 357 5610
50 Lucas Place
Ph: (03) 450 9510
No. Once travel has commenced, a change of drop off location is always subject to confirmation by Relaxing Journeys & Maui/Britz Rentals and may incur the full cost of repositioning the vehicle to the original drop off location reserved and may incur a fee up to NZ$750 and any extra days hired.
A minimum rental of 5 days applies. Minimum rental period is 10 days for hires where travel includes 20 December to 10 January. Minimum rental period is 10 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being return to the South Island if the rental commences between the months of October through to March. (both inclusive) Minimum rental are subject to change and any such change will be notified to you on booking confirmation.
One Way Fees apply between the following depots:
Auckland to Christchurch or Queenstown:
NZ$100 – 01 April – 30 September
NZ$250 – 01 October – 31 March
Christchurch to Queenstown or vice versa:
NZ$50 – 01 April – 30 September
NZ$75 – 01 October – 31 March
Christchurch or Queenstown to Auckland:
NZ$150 – 01 October – 31 March
Location Fees apply to the following depots:
– An additional location fee applies to all campervans picked up and dropped off in Queenstown: (though if pickup and drop off both occur in Queenstown, only one fee applies)
NZ$95 – All year round
Auckland & Christchurch:
No Location Fees apply to these depots
When picking up or dropping off a vehicle on the following NZ Public Holidays, A NZ$100 surcharge will apply and paid direct:
– 30 March 2018 – Good Friday Easter
– 02 April 2018 – Easter Monday
– 25 April 2018 ANZAC Day
– 04 June 2018 Queens Birthday
– 22 October 2018 – Labour Day
– 25 December 2018 – Christmas Day – All Depots are closed and no pickup or drop-off can be done this day.
– 26 December 2018 – Boxing Day
– 01 January 2019 – New Year’s Day
– 02 January 2019 – Day after New Year’s Day
– 06 February 2019 – Waitangi Day
The Road User Charge Recovery fee (Diesel Tax) is a fee paid direct at the end of the hire and is not included in the Standard Rate or Maui & Britz Inclusive Pack. The fee is included in the Express Return Pack. The diesel tax fee is based on the kilometres travelled during the hire. At the end of the rental agreement the mileage travelled will be checked and a fee will be charged for every 100km travelled. The vehicle rates per 100km are as follows:
– Maui Ultima & Ultima Plus: NZ $6.22
– Maui Beach & River: NZ $6.62
– Britz Venturer & Venturer Plus: NZ $6.22
– Britz Explorer & Frontier: NZ $6.62
Maui Campervans and Britz Campervans reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to changes in Government Road User Charges.
Late pick-up or early return of the vehicle does not entitle you to any refund of the unused portion of the rental. There is no refund if you return your vehicle earlier than the reserved period within your rental agreement.
The minimum age for hiring a vehicle is 21 years. There is no upper age limit.
No. All drivers must be 21 years of age or older and hold a current and full (non-probationary) motor vehicle driver’s licence and must be produced at the start of the hire, your country of origin licence is acceptable. However, non-English licence holders must either carry an accredited English translation of their licence or an International Driving Permit while driving. A normal car licence is all that is required to drive any of the campervans. No heavy vehicle, or other special category, licence is required. No maximum age limit applies providing an appropriate valid licence is held by the hirer. The English translation referred to must be issued by one of the following authorities:
– The New Zealand Translation Service
– A diplomatic representative at a High Commission, Embassy or Consulate
– The authority that issued your overseas driver’s licence
Yes. An extra drivers fee applies to each additional drivers licence added to the rental agreement except if the Maui or Britz Inclusive Pack has been booked. The charge for an additional driver is NZ$2 per day with a maximum charge of NZ$30 per hire, per driver.
No, it is necessary for you to come to our Depot to collect your vehicle so we are able to complete the necessary documentation, and familiarise you with the operation of the campervan. Maui and Britz provide FREE airport to branch and branch to airport transfers on the day of arrival and departure for all three branches during hours of operation. Please note the last recommended pickup time from an arrival flight is 1530 hours each day to give adequate time for processing your booking.
All Maui and Britz vehicles can only be collected and returned within the branch operating hours. All depots are open 7 days per week, 0800 hours – 1630 hours. Branches are closed on Christmas Day (25 December) and pickup and drop-off are not available on this day. Please note the last recommended pickup time from an arrival flight is 1530 hours each day to give adequate time for processing your booking.
All Maui Campervans are guaranteed to be under 3 years old. All Britz Campervans are guaranteed to be no more than 5 years old. All vehicles in the fleet are built on Mercedes Benz or Volkswagen chassis and have an automatic transmission.
Motorhomes can only be driven on sealed or well-maintained roads. Vehicles shall not be driven on:
– Skipper Road (Queenstown)
– Crown Range Road (Queenstown)
– Ball Hutt Road (Mt Cook)
– Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
– North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula)
– All ski field access roads (from 01 June to 31 October)
– Maui & Britz reserves the right at its discretion to restrict vehicle movement in certain areas of NZ due to adverse road or weather conditions
Some Travel Insurance policies make provision for you to be able to cover all or part of the Liability Deposit/Excess of NZ$7,500. However, you should be aware that you must still pay a Liability Deposit to Maui or Britz. The Liability Deposit/Excess must be paid by credit card and will be debited immediately. The Bond/Excess is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the Excess is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned without damage to it or to third party property, and within the terms of the rental agreement. If the Liability is debited with an American Express card the surcharge is not refundable.
The client will be required to have sufficient credit with the credit card company to enable us to secure the authorisation on pick up. Payment of the NZ$7,500 Liability Deposit is per incident and should damage be incurred to the hired vehicle or third party property, the authorisation will be invoked and a further authorisation will be required.
The authorisation will be cancelled on return of the vehicle to the agreed drop off depot and on the due drop off date, in a reasonably clean, undamaged condition, with no damage incurred to third party property and with a full tank of fuel and empty toilet cassette and waste water tank.
Yes, every vehicle is fully equipped at no additional cost to the hirer. Refer to Equipment tab above for a complete list of items included.
Yes, all hires include a complimentary pack containing camping park directories, a complimentary New Zealand Travel Guide that incorporates a NZ Road Atlas and a Vehicle Instruction Manual, and other tourist information.
We recommend that you consider making advance bookings for the peak holiday periods from Christmas/New Year to Easter period and bookings may be wise in some of the key tourist centres.
It is not always necessary to book a ferry in advance, but we do recommend that you do so to avoid delay. Bookings are strongly advised during the high season November to March and it is advisable to reserve the ferry at the same time as you book your vehicle.
Yes, Maui and Britz provide 24 hour on-road assistance support. Please contact Maui or Britz Vehicle Rentals staff member 24 hours a day on our freephone helpline, 0800 788 558. Maui and Britz Rentals has a comprehensive network of Service Agents throughout the country who can assist.
No. We regret that animals are not permitted to travel in any of our vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Maui and Britz provide free airport to branch and branch to airport transfers on the day of arrival and departure for our Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown branches.
The Mobile Wi-Fi can connect up to 4 mobile devices at any one time. However connecting the maximum number of devices to your mobile Wi-Fi may cause it to respond more slowly or freeze. It is recommend when the Wi-Fi activity is completed, the device is disconnected.
No. Mobile data can be purchased in 1GB or 5GB of data bundles, when you have used 85% of your allowance you will be notified via text message on the mobile number you have saved against your rental. Additional data bundles can be purchased by the customer through the mobile Wi-Fi unit provider. Please note if you go over your data limit you will be charged for a Wi-Fi 1GM Top automatically if one hasn’t been chosen. This charge will be added to your rental for settlement when you drop off your camper.
The agreed data bundle prices for top ups are as follows: 1. NZ$35 for 1GB 2. NZ$65 for 5GB.
The Wi-Fi can be used in most 3G mobile phone coverage areas. There are some remote places such as national parks, which may have limited or no mobile service.
The Explorer 4 Berth campervan is perfect for a spacious trip away and ideal for a family of four or group of friends.... Read More
Start your booking process by booking your campervan above, or contacting us by telephone or email.