White Island Tour
White Island Tour
Imagine, actually walking on an active island volcano - the aptly named White Island! You can smell the excitement! Your qualified guide will inform you of the island’s geogological history with scientific information explained in an easy-to-understand manner.
Up early today and take a scenic self drive to Whakatane (about 1h 30mins from Rotoura). On arrival it's all aboard a luxury launch, specifically built for tours to White Island. Departing from Whakatane Wharf, the trip out to the island is approximately 80 minutes, depending on conditions, so there is plenty of time to take in the scenery and marine life and enjoy our commentary through the excellent microphone system on board. On the cruise you will kit up with safety gear, consisting of a hard hat and gas mask.
Upon arrival at White Island, we anchor the launch and ferry everyone over to the island via inflatable boat. There is a short ladder to climb, a steel planking system to cross, and some boulders to negotiate before reaching the shore. Then it is time to start your exploration of New Zealand’s only live marine volcano.
Trained tour guides will take you through the remains of the old sulphur mining factory and up close and personal with the bright yellow sulphur crystals. Just to top it all off, venture right up to the main crater’s edge. It’s all here, the hissing, roaring, eerie steam rising from the crater lake. After feeling the awesome power of Mother Nature, sit back, relax and indulge in one of our delicious lunches on board during the trip home. We might even be lucky enough to spend some time with dolphins, whales or the NZ Fur Seal.
|Tour Type:||Guided Nature Tours & Walks|
|From:||Whakatane to Whakatane|
|Price:||From (NZD) $219 per person|
|Tour suits self driving customers as no pickups/dropoffs provided|
|Quality cruising aboard purpose-built vessels|
|Professional and experienced crew and tour guides|
|1.5 – 2 hour fully guided walking tour of White Island's inner crater area (note there are no rest spots or handrails during this part of the tour)|
|Lunch and refreshments|
|Safety gear (gas mask and hard hat)|
|Permit to land on the island|
|Permit to spend time with any marine life that we encounter|
- Building excitement as we journey out to the island by luxury cruise launch
- Wearing the hard hats & gas masks
- Hearing the earth crunch beneath our tramping boots
- Seeing the brilliant yellow colour of the sulphur
- Feeling the force of nature as we venture right up to the crater’s edge, amoungst the ash and steam
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Daily all year round, weather permitting!
- Departure Point: White Island Rendezvous Reception, 15 The Strand East, Whakatane – tour suits self driving customers only as no pickups or dropoffs to/from Rotorua are provided.
- Departure Time: 7.00am, 8.00am, 10:00am, 12.30pm
- Duration: 8 hours (Please use the above times as a guide only. Trip times can vary daily due to weather and tide times. All passengers must double check departure time the night before the scheduled tour. All passengers are contacted the night before to confirm the check-in time and weather conditions.)
- Return Details: Concludes at original point of departure
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Child age is 13 years and under. We have a recommended minimum age of 8 years
- Please use the above times as a guide only. Trip times can vary daily due to weather and tide times
- NO JANDALS OR SANDALS ALLOWED
- Please bring fully enclosed shoes with good grip, warm waterproof jacket, drink/water bottle, sunscreen, camera, swimming gear is optional in summer
- If we are unable to land due to sea or weather conditions, a full refund is given
- Cruise on 60 or 73 foot luxury launch
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
There are 8 reviews of this tour from past clients of Relaxing Journeys, averaging 4.8 out of 5.
Booking Form: White Island Tour
Imagine, actually walking on an active island volcano - the aptly named White Island! You can smell the excitement! Your qualified guide will inform y... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary