Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
The Tasman Glacier is the largest of several glaciers which flow south and east towards the Mackenzie Basin from the Southern Alps in New Zealand’s South Island. At 27 kilometres (17 mi) in length, Tasman Glacier is New Zealand’s longest glacier. It is as much as 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) wide and 600 metres (2,000 ft) thick, and lies entirely within the borders of Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park.
The glacier covers an area of 101 square kilometres (39 sq mi) and starts at a height of 3,000 metres (9,800 ft) above sea level. Witness the beauty the Tasman Glacier lake and the stunning ice formations from the helicopter as you fly over the spectacular Tasman Glacier. Once you descend and step foot onto the ice you will encounter fresh alpine air as your guide introduces you to the world of the Tasman Glacier.
This is a unique experience and one which will not be forgotten. You will land at around 1,200 metres above sea level and spend up to 2 hours in the mountains. This is a guided interpretative trek on the “white ice”. As your crampons bite into the ice, you will trek on gentle undulating terrain, below the highest peaks of the Southern Alps (Aoraki and Mount Tasman).
The snow-clad giants tower above vast icefalls that bulldoze and grind down the mountain sides. Your helicopter will return you safely to Mt Cook airport flying close by the massive 1,000 metre high (3,200 feet) Hochstetter Icefall at the end of your adventure.
|Tour Type:||Scenic Flight|
|From:||Mt Cook to Mt Cook|
|Price:||From (NZD) $585 per person|
|Glacier landing and pick up|
|Approximately 2 hour hike amoungst glacial ice formations|
|Professional & experienced guides|
|A waterproof jacket can be provided if you do not have one|
- Frequency: Daily
- Departure Point: Pickup is available from Mt Cook Village
- Departure Time: 9:00am, 11:00am or 1:00pm September – April 8:00am & 11:00am 1st – 14th May 10:00am 15th May – September
- Duration: 3 hours
- Return Details: 3 hours after departure time, transferred back to Mount Cook Village
- Moderate fitness required and a minimum age of 8 years applies.
- Child discount available for 8 – 14 years
- Heli-hike trips are weather and number dependent.
- 115kg weight limit applies
- Pregnant people will not be able to participate in the heli hike
- Minimum numbers apply to all flights, even if your booking has been confirmed.
- You must call the Local Free Call number (0800-807-767) at least 24 hrs prior to your flight date to reconfirm operation.
- Flight is subject to suitable weather conditions. If flight is cancelled due to weather, your voucher can be put towards flights from Helicopter Line at Queenstown, Twizel or Mount Cook
- iPads and selfie sticks are not allowed on board due to safety reasons.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Please wear warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers), leggings or lift trousers. Sunglasses, sunscreen, waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don’t have one).
Booking Form: Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
The Tasman Glacier is the largest of several glaciers which flow south and east towards the Mackenzie Basin from the Southern Alps in New Zealand’s ... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary