Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike
Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike
Imagine a two-hour guided walk amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and seracs of New Zealand's Franz Josef Glacier. As you wander through this winter wonderland, learn about glacier processes and enjoy supreme panoramic views with your small group tour, as your local guide shows you the most spectacular ice formations.
The rugged West Coast is hemmed between the Tasman Sea and the imposing Southern Alps, making for spectacular contrasts in the surrounding scenery. Franz Josef Glacier, found in the stunning Westland National Park, is one of the most spectacular glaciers in this region.
How do you reach this pristine location? By helicopter of course.
Combine an awesome scenic helicopter flight over the glacier with a unique guided walk through the extraordinary alpine landscape. See the ice-flow from above and then up close, on an unforgettable guided walk. Your professional guide will lead you into the most spectacular icefall terrain that is usually seen only by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and using exclusive quality equipment, your safety as well as enjoyment is taken care of.
Please Note: Moderate fitness required and minimum age is 8 years old.
|Tour Type:||Adventure Tours|
|From:||West Coast Glaciers to West Coast Glaciers|
|Price:||From (NZD) $500 per person|
|Hotel pickup and drop off|
|10-minute scenic helicopter flight with snow landing|
|2 hour hike amongst glacial ice formations|
|All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)|
|Informative commentary and guided walk|
|Professionally trained pilot with specific experience flying in New Zealand's alpine environment|
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Daily. All year round
- Departure Point: Your Heli Hike departs from The Helicopter Franz Josef Glacier base, situated on the main road of Franz Josef Glacier or Shuttle bus from your centrally located glacier accommodation can be nominated at time of booking
- Departure Time: October to April 9.30am, 12 noon and 2.30pm May to September 11am and 1.30pm (Please nominate on booking)
- Duration: 3 Hours
- Return Details: Flight concludes at original point of departure
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Children must be accompanied by a fare paying adult
- Food and drinks are excluded
- All flights operate subject to suitable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures
- The Operator reserves the right to alter prices, departure times and flight routes or arrange alternative helicopter services
- All flights require a minimum number of 3 passengers for departures. Bookings will be accepted for numbers less than the required minimum number on the basis that bookings will be co-ordinated to achieve minimum numbers
- Fleet predominantly of Squirrel helicopters. Professionally trained pilots with specific experience flying in New Zealand’s alpine environment. All aircraft are maintained and pilots licensed to New Zealand Civil Aviation requirements
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
There are 8 reviews of this tour from past clients of Relaxing Journeys, averaging 4.8 out of 5.
Booking Form: Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike
Imagine a two-hour guided walk amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and seracs of New Zealand's Franz Josef Glacier. As you wander through this winter won... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary