- Category: Cruise Ship Tours
- Avge Rating: 3 (1 Reviews)
- From: Dunedin to Dunedin
- Duration: 1 Day
- Tour Code: DND1
- Compare Tour
Add to Wishlist1 item has been added to your wishlist
View Wishlist | Not Now
Departing Port Chalmers, follow the harbourside road into the city for your first stop at the iconic Dunedin Railway Station. There is time to look around this architectural gem of a building and perhaps watch the Taieri Gorge train depart on one of the world's most famous train trips.
From here it's just a short drive to New Zealand's oldest university, the University of Otago. Otago is known for its lively student life and the architectural grandeur and gardens are ranked as one of the world's most beautiful universities.
The next stop is The Octagon which is the heart of Dunedin city and a major hub for public transport. Here there is time for photos and a quick coffee stop if you wish.
Leaving the city centre you will head out to the Otago Peninsula with stunning views over the Dunedin Harbour and city far below. If you would like to visit New Zealand's only castle, Larnach Castle, you can leave the group here, where you can take a tour of the castle and grounds and enjoy lunch at their Ballroom cafe (own expense).
If you decide to stay with the tour, the drive continues to the very tip of the Otago Peninsula at Tairoa Head where the Royal Albatross Visitor Centre is located. Here where you will learn about these amazing birds and perhaps see them circling overhead. This is also our venue for lunch (at your cost) at their cafe.
On the way back to the city, the group will stop at Lanarch castle to collect those who decided to tour the castle. Once back in the city you can choose to add a visit to Olveston House, Cadbury World for a chocoholic's delight (one hour tours). If these options are not available, continue on to the last stop of the day, Baldwin Street, reputedly the world's steepest!
Please note: the the order of the tour may vary slightly depending on weather conditions, ships arrival times and traffic.
- Small Group Tour
- Royal Albatross Visitor Centre
- Baldwin Street – the worlds steepest street!
- Central Dunedin city sights
- Dunedin Railway Station
- Otago University
- Otago Peninsula
- Comfortable air conditioned transport
- Experienced driver/guide with full commentary throughout
- Pick up and drop off to the cruise ship tenders
- A visit to the Albatross Centre
- Frequency: Departures coincide with cruise ship arrivals.
- Departure Point: Port Chalmers – a short walk from the gangway
- Departure Time: 9.30am but on some days the ships may arrive or depart at different times so tour times will be adjusted to suit
- Duration: 5 1/2 hours approximately
- Return Details: Tour ends at 15:00pm
- Closed: This tour only operates on days cruise ships arrive into Port Chalmers
- Availability is very limited, Please email or make contact with a Relaxing Journeys consultant first to check availability before booking via the website.
- Children under 4 year olds can travel free of charge and are not assigned a seat unless a seat is required then child rates apply
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated.
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher.
- Voted #1 on Trip Advisor and award winners 2014, 2015 and 2016
Tourism Industry Affiliations:
Dunedin Highlights Reviews
Reviews from past clients of Relaxing Journeys. 1 Reviews. Average Rating 3.0 of 5.
3Really enjoyed the tour. Small group and flexible. Only trouble was that the guide's microphone didn't work very well and my elderly aunt who has hearing difficulties couldn't hear most of the commentary. We asked him to increase the volume but he said the mouthpiece was faulty. Otherwise would have given a higher rating.
- Overall Tour Rating
- Value For Money
- Tour Pace
- Relaxing Journeys Experience