- Category: Scenic Flights
- Avge Rating: 4 (4 Reviews)
- From: Bay of Islands to Bay of Islands
- Duration: 1/2 Day
- Tour Code: SA1
- Compare Tour
Add to Wishlist1 item has been added to your wishlist
View Wishlist | Not Now
This "Cape Reinga Fly/Drive" ½ day tour is the alternative way to travel to the top of New Zealand to experience it’s beauty, history and scenery from both the air and on land, with the added bonus of avoiding a long road trip if you are short on time.
The initial stage of the tour consists of a flight up to Cape Reinga via Northlands spectacular harbours, such as the Whangaroa Harbour and the Rangaunu Harbour. We also pass across some beautiful beaches such as Coopers Beach, Doubtless Bay and of course the famous Ninety Mile Beach. From Ninety Mile Beach we then fly inland where we land at our airfield, which is only 20km from the Cape Reinga lighthouse.
Once on the ground a comfortable air-conditioned mini-bus will meet the aircraft. It will take you on a 2½ hour tour around the top of New Zealand. After a 20 minute drive, we reach the Cape Reinga Lighthouse where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. Our local guide will accompany you on your walk to the lighthouse, sharing the myths and legends or this very spiritual area. We then rejoin the vehicle for a short drive to Tapotupotu Bay where we enjoy a freshly baked light refreshment. There is time for a stroll on the beach, and a quick swim if desired, then we move across to the Te Paki quicksand stream with its giant sand dunes; (we have sleds available for those who wish to experience the exhilaration of sliding down the sand dunes and try some “sand surfing”).
The return flight to the Bay of Islands includes some of the most spectacular coastal scenery Northland has to offer. You will fly over the Parengarenga Harbour and Great Exhibition Bay, which are only visible by air or by sea. This area is very remote and without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in New Zealand with it’s pure white silica sand and crystal clear water. The flight also passes across the Houhora Harbour, the Cavalli islands, Kauri Cliff’s golf course and the spectacular Bay of Islands.
- Morning or afternoon tea/refreshments
- Return flights Paihia to Cape Reinga
- 2.5 hour vehicle tour of Cape Reinga area, including Tapotupotu Bay, Te Paki Stream & Giant Sand Dunes
- Return transfers Kerikeri, Bay of Islands airport to Paihia
- Informative and friendly commentary
- Seeing the beautiful coastline from the air including Whangaroa, Rangaunu, Parengarenga and Houhora Harbours, Great Exhibition Bay, Cavalli Islands, Ninety Mile Beach, and Kerikeri Vineyards
- Trying to count the 144 islands in the Bay of Islands
- Ninety Mile Beach
- Walking to the tip of New Zealand at Cape Reinga
- Stopping at the beautiful Tapotupotu Bay
- Sand tobogganing on the giant sand dunes
- Driving through Te Paki Stream
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Weekdays. All year round
- Departures: Pick up in Paihia from 8.15am, returning by 1.50pm or meet us at Kerikeri Airport at 8.45am, with the return flight landing at approximately 1.20pm. We offer complimentary transfers from Paihia accommodation and Paihia Wharf for Russell Accommodation.
- Duration: 4.5 hours (approximately)
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Child fares are the same as adult fares. Infants under 4 years need to travel on an adult's lap for the plane but may take a seat for the vehicle tour.
- Cape Reinga vehicle tour there is a charge of $75.00 per child under 4 years
- During the winter season due to wet weather it is possible that the aircraft can not land up at Cape Reinga, on these occasions we can offer a scenic flight only option that is extended to fly over the Cape area.
- All flights operate subject to minimum 2 passengers
- Experienced driver-guides providing full commentary
- All aircraft are maintained and pilots licensed to New Zealand Civil Aviation requirements
- Minimum: 2 passengers
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
Enhance Your Visit To New Zealand
If you are joining one of our independent coach tours, escorted coach tours, short break holidays or self drive tours and have a free day or two, why not add the 'Cape Reinga & Northland Fly Drive' to your New Zealand itinerary?
Tourism Industry Affiliations:
Cape Reinga & Northland Fly Drive Reviews
Reviews from past clients of Relaxing Journeys. 4 Reviews. Average Rating 4.0 of 5.
3Excellent views from plane. Good commentaries on board about landmarks etc. However all a bit rushed as we set off late due to fog and had to return to time so a fellow traveller could make another trip with another company.
- Overall Tour Rating
- Value For Money
- Tour Pace
- Relaxing Journeys Experience
4It was a fantastic way to see the Bay of islands and Cape Reinga. I believe everyone should do the flight first so you can appreciate the beauty of the area and then tour the area by vehicle, so much to see and do. The pilot was great and explained the culture and history of the area. Well worth the price.
4We were well looked after by everyone at Salt Air. Given our time constraints it was an ideal way to get to see so much.
5I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It was much better (in my opinion) than going by coach especially as I was booked on the 3 week coach tour so took advantage of the chance to fly. I was aleady making contact direct with Salt Air to arange the trip but when I saw that you did it for the same price (no tour operator surcharges) I booked it through you. The scenery from the air was fantastic, everyone I met was friendly and knowledgable about the area and wildlife and full of enthusiasm for the country and tourism. It was a highlight of my holiday. Coincidentally, I have been recommending the tour to someone today who has a day to spare in Auckland on her way home so have been showing her my photos today.