The Ancient Village Traverse Tour
The Ancient Village Traverse Tour
Only 10 minutes from the Napier City Centre. Journey with us through the Ōtātara Pā Historic Reserve. Once the largest, oldest, and most outstanding fortified village in the country. The significant archaeological features that still remain transport us back to the life of the ancient world. Share in our traditional Māori customs while astonishing in the 360˚ panoramic views of the spectacular Hawke’s Bay.
Relish in fresh Māori seafood and traditional culinary delights, served under our treasured Kānuka trees. Experience being a hunter gatherer as you capture the much loved food source of eel by the riverside. Enjoy in our legendary stories of; Pania our ancestor, the battle on Ōtātara and Hikurangi Pā (village), our first Māori settlement, and archaeological features and artefacts. Contribute to improving our environment by planting a native tree that we have raised with love, to make your mark in our land, and offset the carbon load of travel. You will watch it grow overtime with a special co-ordinate.
A basic fitness level is recommended, this tour involves periods of hill walking on a formed track
|Tour Type:||Cultural & Theme Tours|
|From:||Napier to Napier|
|Price:||From (NZD) $675 per person|
|Maori Site: Ōtātara Pa Historic Reserve, Springfield Road, Taradale|
|Engaging in a traditional Māori welcome.|
|Intimate and educational insight into the evolution of Māori culture and history.|
|Environmental connection with our land through native tree planting and food gathering of ancestral food.|
|Historical stories of the Hawke’s Bay and Napier landscape.|
|Open air picnic of culinary degustation offerings.|
|Our exclusive tours include transportation within Napier in our Eco Hybrid Electric 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander.|
- Frequency: Daily. All year round
- Departure & Return Details: Pickup & drop off from Napier & Hawke’s Bay accommodation
- Departure Time: 9:30am
- Duration: 4.5 hours (approximate)
- Return Time: 2.00pm
- Closed: Christmas Day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel.
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Our tours are suited for up to 6 people. With a minimum of 2 adults for tours to depart.
- All Children must be accompanied by at least two adults.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated.
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher.
- Child discounts applies to children ages from 6-18 years inclusive.
- Children aged from 0-5 years are free of charge.
- Experienced driver-guides providing full commentary.
- Complimentary hotel pick-up and drop-off service from Napier & Hawke’s Bay hotels. Pick-up and drop-off details must be advised at the time of booking.
Booking Form: The Ancient Village Traverse Tour
Only 10 minutes from the Napier City Centre. Journey with us through the Ōtātara Pā Historic Reserve. Once the largest, oldest, and most outstandin... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary