Big Sky Stargazing
Big Sky Stargazing
Enjoy the first part of the tour inside at the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre with a digital dome presentation at our planetarium, which includes a journey through the universe, our Milky Way Galaxy and an introduction to the southern night sky. The presentation is delivered in English with headset translations available in Mandarin and Japanese.
Following your time in the planetarium, our guides take you on a short drive (transport provided) down the Starlight Highway to our outdoor stargazing viewing area within the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve - the World's largest dark sky reserve, where you will enjoy a guided introduction of the southern night sky using your naked-eye along with telescopes and astro-binoculars.
Every night is a unique experience with stars, planets, the Moon and satellites constantly moving as our Earth orbits in space. Enjoy a hot drink while you gaze in to the cosmos.
In June 2012 the Mackenzie region, encompassing Aoraki/Mt Cook Village, was approved as one of only a few International Dark Sky Reserves (IDSR) worldwide, meaning the darkness of the Mackenzie night sky is almost unbeatable.
|Tour Type:||Cultural & Themed Day Tours|
|From:||Mt Cook to Mt Cook|
From (NZD) $90 per person
|Digital Dome Presentation|
|Transport between Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and the outdoor stargazing viewing area|
|Guided introduction of the southern night sky using your naked-eye along with telescopes and astro-binoculars|
- Frequency: Daily
- Departure Point: Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre
- Departure Time: Open-dated
- Duration: Open-dated
- Return Details: Open-dated
- Child discount available for 4 – 14 years.
- Available every night. Departure times vary depending on the time of year.
- Pre-booking is recommended to avoid disappointment.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Big Sky Stargazing will operate regardless of weather conditions. In the event of inclement weather or unclear skies, the tour will proceed indoors under our 360 degree Digital Planetarium Dome where we will bring the magic and beauty of the southern stars directly to you.
- Refunds and discounts due to weather or unclear skies are not applicable.
Booking Form: Big Sky Stargazing
Enjoy the first part of the tour inside at the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre with a digital dome presentation at our planetarium, which includes a ... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary