Big Sky Stargazing
Big Sky Stargazing
The darkness of the night sky around Aoraki Mt Cook is unbeatable - its official! Let the team at Big Sky Stargazing introduce you to the wonders above. The 4367sq km Gold Status Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve is the largest in the world and for this tour you will be the centre of it all.
Our experienced guides will introduce you to our beautiful southern night sky with a full hour using the naked eye, astro-binoculars and state of the art 14" and 11" astronomy telescopes. Unleash your imagination as you discover our neighbourhood in the universe including the southern cross, seasonal ecliptic objects, planets, planets, stunning star clusters, moons, distant galaxies and even our very own galaxy, the spectacular Milky Way.
An experience is guaranteed. The tour is delivered either from an outdoor viewing platform at our Stargazing building set alone under a massive night sky, or if the weather is unfavourable then your guide leads you through a 'live' orientation of our southern night sky indoors, reclined in comfortable seats of New Zealand's first 360 digital Dome Planetarium theatre where 4k high definition images generated by state of the art computer software immerse you in a stunning digital view of the universe and beyond.
Every night is a unique experience with stars, planets, the Moon and satellites constantly moving as our Earth orbits in space.
|Tour Type:||Cultural & Themed Day Tours|
|From:||Mt Cook to Mt Cook|
|Price:||From (NZD) $80 per person|
|Digital Dome Presentation|
|Transport between Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and the outdoor stargazing viewing area|
|Guided introduction of the southern night sky using your naked-eye along with telescopes and astro-binoculars|
- Frequency: Daily
- Departure Point: Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre
- Departure Time: Open-dated
- Duration: Open-dated
- Return Details: Open-dated
- Child discount available for 4 – 14 years.
- Available every night. Departure times vary depending on the time of year.
- Pre-booking is recommended to avoid disappointment.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Big Sky Stargazing will operate regardless of weather conditions. In the event of inclement weather or unclear skies, the tour will proceed indoors under our 360 degree Digital Planetarium Dome where we will bring the magic and beauty of the southern stars directly to you.
- Refunds and discounts due to weather or unclear skies are not applicable.
Booking Form: Big Sky Stargazing
The darkness of the night sky around Aoraki Mt Cook is unbeatable - its official! Let the team at Big Sky Stargazing introduce you to the wonders abov... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary