The Black Abyss
The Black Abyss
For the ultimate in adventure caving tours, look no further than the Black Abyss. You will descend into the black, seemingly bottomless depths of Ruakuri Cave, zipline through a gallery of illuminating glowworms and climb underground waterfalls as you test your limits on this truly unforgettable journey.
The Black Abyss is an exhilarating caving experience blending the magic of abseiling, climbing and floating through a unique underground river system. Slip spider-like down into the black, seemingly bottomless depths of Ruakuri Cave and ride a roller coaster of everything caving has to offer. If you seek an adventure tour that plays with your senses and provides an unforgettable thrill - then this Legendary Black Water Rafting Company tour is intended for you!
Designed for people with a moderate level of fitness, the five-hour invigorating journey includes a snack and a minimum of two hours exhilarating underground adventure. Abseil into the awesome limestone tomo to experience the adrenaline rush as you clamber and slide through squeezes, zip into the black water filled abyss and scramble up waterfalls in your pursuit of daylight.
Groups are kept small to guarantee a personal, interactive and fun experience, our professional guides will happily share their knowledge on all aspects concerning Cave Formations and cave life. Inside the cave naturally occurring decorations such as stalactites and stalagmites will amaze while the resident glowworms promise to provide a spectacular visual exhibition as you traverse through the subterraneous playground.
The most comprehensive caving experience including an underground flying fox and waterfall climbs. Abseil into Ruakuri Cave down a 35-metre tomo (hole). Test yourself on this ultimate caving adventure.
|Tour Type:||Adventure Tour|
|From:||Waitomo to Waitomo|
|Price:||From (NZD) $274 per person|
|All equipment including tubes, wetsuits, boots, helmets, abseiling devices and safety equipment|
|A hot shower and complimentary hot soup and bagels after your tour|
|Experienced trained guides will take you safely through the stunning underworld|
- Frequency: Daily
- Departure Point: 585 Waitomo Caves Road Waitomo
- Departure Time: Summer: Every hour from 7:00am – 2:00pm Winter: 9:00am, 11:00am & 2:00pm
- Duration: 5 hours
- Return Details: 5 hours after start time
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Minimum of 2 people required to operate
- Moderate fitness level required
- Minimum age is 16 years old and must be at least 45kg
- Water temperature 10 – 14°C / 50-57°F
- 8 people per tour maximum
- No cameras or GoPro’s on the tour
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation of this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Child ages are 16 years inclusive. 0 – 15 years are not permitted to do this tour
- Bring your own swimwear and towel
Booking Form: The Black Abyss
For the ultimate in adventure caving tours, look no further than the Black Abyss. You will descend into the black, seemingly bottomless depths of Ruak... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary