Snowshoeing Adventure Tour
Snowshoeing Adventure Tour
Reach new heights on a full day Snowshoeing Adventure! Snowshoeing in Queenstown offers a peaceful, harmonious exploration of the wilderness. Come for an invigorating guided snowshoe walk with us into the beautiful New Zealand back country and discover what really makes New Zealand different.
Spend the day with one of our experienced snowshoe guides. Learn how to read the snow and choose your trail, see snow crystals up close and ask your guide why snow 'rimes'. Have fun helping to dig your own 'snow chair' to relax in while you enjoy a refreshing hot drink and delicious lunch carried by your guide.
What is Snowshoeing?
Snowshoeing is simply walking in snowy conditions. The people of snowy locations the world over have been using snowshoes for centuries to ease their progress on foot, and the ones we use are modern descendants of those original pieces of equipment. Snowshoes help by stopping us sinking in soft snow, and giving us grip if the snow is hard or icy. The snowshoes adjust to almost any boot size, and are very easy to walk in. After a quick fitting, most people are comfortable on their snowshoes and ready to enjoy their day in around 10 minutes.
Who Can Do It?
Everyone! Like summer hiking, we can make things as easy or challenging as you wish. Small group sizes and a flexible approach ensure we accommodate everyone’s needs and abilities. One of the beauties of snowshoeing is that it is non-technical; that is to say that unlike skiing for example, almost anyone can do it without technical instruction or time spent practicing, and yet it gives us access to landscapes that go way beyond the limits of the piste skier.
Wandering the spectacular mountain environment surrounding us, usually well away from the bustle of the main ski areas, excites most people with a love of open spaces, fresh air and the natural world. This may be particularly true of the less-enthusiastic skier, or those who are seeking some variety, adventure, or peace and tranquility during their ski holiday.
|Tour Type:||Guided Nature Tours & Walks|
|From:||Queenstown to Queenstown|
|Price:||From (NZD) $215 per person|
|All transport to and from Queenstown accommodation|
|Snowshoes - these go over your own shoes so please wear sensible footwear - closed toe trainers or outdoor footwear (preferably waterproof) and warm socks|
|Poles - adjustable length|
|Waterproof snowboots, overpants, jackets and gloves|
|Lunch and hot drinks|
|Friendly, knowledgeable & cheerful local guides|
|Interpretative commentary of flora, fauna, history, geology & snow|
|Use of snow boots, shell pants, jacket & gloves|
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Winter season 1st June to late October (snow permitting)
- Pick Up: From all Queenstown accommodation
- Duration: Allow 6 hours return
- Walking Time: 3 hours (approx.)
- Walking Distance: 4km (moderate) with some uphill terrain
- Track: Make our own!
- Departure Time: 08:30am
- Return Details: 16:00pm (approx)
What You Should Bring
- Sturdy walking boots (although if you don’t have your own, you can be loaned some)
- Warm thick socks
- Thermal under layers (wool or polypropylene is best)
- Warm mid layers (avoid cotton and demin)
- Sunglasses are a must which is essential to avoid snow blindness
- Sunscreen is important as the sun is very harsh
- Water bottle
- A small backpack
What You Should Wear
- Layers! To stay warm and ready for all winter weather conditions it is important to bring several layers of clothing. This allows you to remove and add layers as you warm up or cool down. Wool or synthetic clothing like fleece and polypropylene are great for base and warm layers. If possible, avoid cotton clothing as when cotton gets wet (from sweat and weather) it stays wet and gets heavy and cold.
- Bring a wind or waterproof coat for over your warm layers (if you don’t have, one don’t worry we have some that you can borrow, we also have a few fleece layers to borrow).
- Don’t forget a warm hat, gloves, warm socks and sturdy (preferably waterproof) winter footwear.
- Sunglasses are a must! The reflection of the sun off the snow can cause snow-blindness
- Minimum 2 people required to book this tour.
- Minimum child age is 8 years old
- A reasonable level of fitness will ensure an enjoyable day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Child price is 8-14 years
- The maximum number per guide is six persons with a minimum of two
- Larger groups will be broken up into small groups with one guide to each group
- You must follow the instructions of the guide and parents please ensure that your children do the same.
- Please advise your guide if you have any physical conditions that may affect your enjoyment of our walk today
- English speaking nature guides (1 guide to a maximum of 6 people)
Booking Form: Snowshoeing Adventure Tour
Reach new heights on a full day Snowshoeing Adventure! Snowshoeing in Queenstown offers a peaceful, harmonious exploration of the wilderness. Come for... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.
You can also create your dream holiday by using our custom itinerary planner.
Create your Custom Itinerary