Queenstown Guided Snowshoeing Walk | Heli-Snowshoeing
Queenstown Guided Snowshoeing Walk | Heli-Snowshoeing
On top of the world just minutes from Queenstown, and without the strenuous climb. In this area, surrounded by towering jagged mountain peaks and hidden winter alpine life, the only way to access this pristine environment is by Helicopter.
Endless mountain-tops, hidden valleys and frozen lakes stretch into infinity, Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu far below. Silence and remoteness surround you in this very special environment where you can heli hike and explore at leisure.
Once your helicopter flight gets the adrenalin is rushing, you'll don a pair of our high-tech snowshoes and you're ready to go. Gone are the old tennis racquet style snowshoes and in are the new, slim line snowshoes which let you feel as if you are floating across the snow. Snowshoes allow you to snow hike across unbroken snow without sinking up to your waist, opening up huge possibilities for wilderness exploration.
Then you and your expert guide can explore the snow-covered wilderness that surrounds you. Snowshoeing from Queenstown offers an exciting exploration of the white wintery wilderness. Most of the area around Queenstown is backcountry and offers kilometres of snow in winter for snowshoeing.
What is Snowshoeing?
Snowshoeing is simply walking in snowy conditions. The people of snowy locations the world over have been using snowshoes for centuries to ease their progress on foot, and the ones we use are modern descendants of those original pieces of equipment. Snowshoes help by stopping us sinking in soft snow, and giving us grip if the snow is hard or icy. The snowshoes adjust to almost any boot size, and are very easy to walk in. After a quick fitting, most people are comfortable on their snowshoes and ready to enjoy their day in around 10 minutes.
Who Can Do It?
Everyone! Like summer hiking, we can make things as easy or challenging as you wish. Small group sizes and a flexible approach ensure we accommodate everyone’s needs and abilities. One of the beauties of snowshoeing is that it is non-technical; that is to say that unlike skiing for example, almost anyone can do it without technical instruction or time spent practicing, and yet it gives us access to landscapes that go way beyond the limits of the piste skier.
Wandering the spectacular mountain environment surrounding us, usually well away from the bustle of the main ski areas, excites most people with a love of open spaces, fresh air and the natural world. This may be particularly true of the less-enthusiastic skier, or those who are seeking some variety, adventure, or peace and tranquility during their ski holiday.
|Tour Type:||Guided Nature Tours & Walks|
|From:||Queenstown to Queenstown|
From (NZD) $719 per person
|Return transport from central Queenstown accommodations|
|Waterproof snowboots, overpants, jacket and gloves to ensure you are suitably dressed for your experience|
|Snowshoes - these go over your own shoes so please wear sensible footwear - closed toe trainers or outdoor footwear (preferably waterproof) and warm socks|
|Poles - adjustable length|
|Snacks including tea/coffee, cookies|
|Friendly, knowledgeable & cheerful local guides|
|Interpretative commentary of flora, fauna, history, geology & snow|
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Winter months (June to October – snow dependent)
- Pick Up: From all Queenstown accommodation (excludes private residence)
- Departure Time: 8:30am & 1:30pm
- Duration: 4 hours (approx)
- Walking Time: 2-3 hours (approx)
- Return Details: 12:30pm & 5:30pm (approx)
What You Should Bring
- Sensible footwear – closed toe trainers or outdoor footwear (preferably waterproof) and warm socks (two pairs are good)
- Sunglasses are a must
- Sunscreen (important as our sun is very harsh)
- A warm hat & gloves
- Waterproof / windproof / warm clothing for changeable weather
- Small day pack
- Remember to bring your camera.
- Layers! To stay warm and ready for all winter weather conditions it is important to bring several layers of clothing. This allows you to remove and add layers as you warm up or cool down. Wool or synthetic clothing like fleece and polypropylene are great for base and warm layers. If possible, avoid cotton clothing as when cotton gets wet (from sweat and weather) it stays wet and gets heavy and cold.
- Minimum 2 people required to book this tour.
- A reasonable level of fitness will ensure an enjoyable day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
- Child prices apply to 8-14 year old.
- Children aged 7 and under are not allowed to do this day tour.
- You must follow the instructions of the guide and parents please ensure that your children do the same.
- Please advise your guide if you have any physical conditions that may affect your enjoyment of our walk today
Booking Form: Queenstown Guided Snowshoeing Walk | Heli-Snowshoeing
On top of the world just minutes from Queenstown, and without the strenuous climb. In this area, surrounded by towering jagged mountain peaks and hidd... Read More
Click on each area to view more information.
Upgrade this tour by adding one of our carefully selected optional tours & activities or go ahead and request a quote to guarantee your spot.