- Category: Adventure Tours
- Avge Rating: 5 (1 Reviews)
- From: West Coast Glaciers to West Coast Glaciers
- Duration: 4 hour
- Tour Code: GHH
- Compare Tour
Add to Wishlist1 item has been added to your wishlist
View Wishlist | Not Now
Combine the thrills of a scenic helicopter flight over the Franz Josef Glacier with a unique guided walk amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and crevices of this pristine, alpine environment.
After a thrilling flight high above the rugged terrain, you will land on the glacier ready to undertake a two hour guided glacier hike.
Your guide chooses the route as you go for the most spectacular ice formations and will lead you into icefall terrain that is usually seen only by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and using exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is taken care of. This will almost certainly be your most memorable experience whilst in New Zealand!
Admission is included to the Franz Josef Glacier hot pools where you will be able to enjoy a hot bathe amongst the rainforest!
Sometimes even the best plans don't work out - sometimes helicopters don't fly. If your trip is cancelled due to weather, you'll automatically be transfered onto the Glacier Valley Walk the same day. There is no obligation to participate and you can cancel at any time. We just want to make sure you don't miss out on a great glacier experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Moderate fitness required and minimum age is 8 years old.
- Scenic helicopter flight with ice landing
- Up to 3 hours on the ice
- All equipment provided - socks and sturdy boots, ice crampons with small waist bag, waterproof over-trousers & jacket (also woollen hats and gloves if required)
- Informative commentary during the guided walk
- Admission to the Glacier Hot Pools
- Glacier Goodie Bag
- Professionally trained pilot with specific experience flying in New Zealand's alpine environment
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Daily. All year round
- Departure Point: Franz Josef
- Departure Time: May to Sep 9.15am, 10.55am & 11.40am - Oct to Apr 8.30am, 9.15am, 10.55am, 11.40am & 12.30pm (Please nominate on booking)
- Duration: 3 Hours
- Return Details: Flight concludes at original point of departure
- Closed: Christmas Day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
What To Bring
- 2-4 warm upper body layers ideally woollen or polypro (no cotton)
- Quick drying trousers or shorts (no jeans)
- Food & drink for the day
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, backpack
- Maximum of 11 passengers per guide
- Children (min age 8 years) must be accompanied by a fare paying adult
- Food and drinks are excluded
- All flights operate subject to suitable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures
- The Operator reserves the right to alter prices, departure times and flight routes or arrange alternative helicopter services
- Fleet predominantly of twin-engine helicopters. Professionally trained pilots with specific experience flying in New Zealand’s alpine environment. All aircraft are maintained and pilots licensed to New Zealand Civil Aviation requirements
Enhance Your Visit To New Zealand
If you are joining one of our independent coach tours, escorted coach tours, short break holidays or self drive tours and have a free day or two, why not add the 'Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike & Hot Pools' to your New Zealand itinerary?
Tourism Industry Affiliations:
Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike & Hot Pools Reviews
Reviews from past clients of Relaxing Journeys. 1 Reviews. Average Rating 5.0 of 5.
5We did a self-drive tour of both the North and South Islands this past December. It was fantastic! Mani arranged everything for us and it was perfect. The car rental went smoothly and we chose the economy lodging and all our accommodations were extremely nice. It was a pleasant surprise to have kitchens in each place and most had a laundry we could use which was most helpful. The itinerary and directions were easy to follow and the pace was good. Some days were longer drives but the scenery was so beautiful that it wasn't a concern. We still made unplanned but exciting stops. The Kruse GPS was very useful and educational. So glad we included that in our tour. The 3 highlights of our trip were caving Waitomo Caves, the heli-hike on Fox Glacier, and the jet boat ride on the Shotover River in Queenstown. I really can't omit all the other excursions we took because they were exciting too - Te Puia cultural experience, Walter Peak Farm, Skipper's Canyon, Buller Gorge, Albatross Centre, Milford Sound Cruise, Abel Tasman National Park, all the hikes to waterfalls and rapids. The only negative would be the 17 hour flight to get to New Zealand from the States but I would do it again. It's worth it!
- Overall Tour Rating
- Value For Money
- Tour Pace
- Relaxing Journeys Experience