- Category: Adventure Tours
- From: West Coast Glaciers to West Coast Glaciers
- Duration: 4 hour
- Tour Code: GHH
- Compare Tour
Add to Wishlist1 item has been added to your wishlist
View Wishlist | Not Now
Combine the thrills of a scenic helicopter flight over the Franz Josef Glacier with a unique guided walk amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and crevices of this pristine, alpine environment.
After a thrilling flight high above the rugged terrain, you will land on the glacier ready to undertake a two hour guided glacier hike.
Your guide chooses the route as you go for the most spectacular ice formations and will lead you into icefall terrain that is usually seen only by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and using exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is taken care of. This will almost certainly be your most memorable experience whilst in New Zealand!
Admission is included to the Franz Josef Glacier hot pools where you will be able to enjoy a hot bathe amongst the rainforest!
Sometimes even the best plans don't work out - sometimes helicopters don't fly. If your trip is cancelled due to weather, you'll automatically be transfered onto the Glacier Valley Walk the same day. There is no obligation to participate and you can cancel at any time. We just want to make sure you don't miss out on a great glacier experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Moderate fitness required and minimum age is 8 years old.
- Scenic helicopter flight with ice landing
- Up to 3 hours on the ice
- All equipment provided - socks and sturdy boots, ice crampons with small waist bag, waterproof over-trousers & jacket (also woollen hats and gloves if required)
- Informative commentary during the guided walk
- Admission to the Glacier Hot Pools
- Glacier Goodie Bag
- Professionally trained pilot with specific experience flying in New Zealand's alpine environment
Schedule & Duration
- Frequency: Daily. All year round
- Departure Point: Franz Josef
- Departure Time: May to Sep 9.15am, 10.55am & 11.40am - Oct to Apr 8.30am, 9.15am, 10.55am, 11.40am & 12.30pm (Please nominate on booking)
- Duration: 3 Hours
- Return Details: Flight concludes at original point of departure
- Closed: Christmas Day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher
What To Bring
- 2-4 warm upper body layers ideally woollen or polypro (no cotton)
- Quick drying trousers or shorts (no jeans)
- Food & drink for the day
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, backpack
- Maximum of 11 passengers per guide
- Children (min age 8 years) must be accompanied by a fare paying adult
- Food and drinks are excluded
- All flights operate subject to suitable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures
- The Operator reserves the right to alter prices, departure times and flight routes or arrange alternative helicopter services
- Fleet predominantly of twin-engine helicopters. Professionally trained pilots with specific experience flying in New Zealand’s alpine environment. All aircraft are maintained and pilots licensed to New Zealand Civil Aviation requirements
Enhance Your Visit To New Zealand
If you are joining one of our independent coach tours, escorted coach tours, short break holidays or self drive tours and have a free day or two, why not add the 'Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike & Hot Pools' to your New Zealand itinerary?