- Category: Guided Nature Tours & Walks
- From: Auckland to Auckland
- Duration: 1 Day
- Tour Code: BBAUI
- Compare Tour
Add to Wishlist1 item has been added to your wishlist
View Wishlist | Not Now
A thirty minute flight by light plane over the sparkling waters of the Hauraki Gulf brings you to majestic Great Barrier Island. After breakfast at a local café take an easy half hour walk on gravelled tracks and boardwalks past giant Nikau palms and rare native flora and fauna over unique wetlands to the Kaitoke natural thermal springs.
The adventure continues as we drive past native bush and rugged peaks to the secluded natural harbour at Port Fitzroy where we have a relaxed kiwi style picnic lunch. A short drive takes us to a sweeping, often deserted stretch of pristine white sand.
There is time here for a swim or a meander along the beach to visit the graves of those drowned in one of New Zealand’s worst shipwrecks. Visit the only working cattle and sheep farm on the island where relics of the past remain. Here the world’s largest population of Brown Teal can be found, a friendly little duck on the verge of extinction. At a nearby stream, monster eels come when called and can be fed – if you dare!
This unforgettable day is rounded off with a climb to the top of Windy Canyon, a spectacular short walk. The path winds around rocky outcrops and past sheer cliffs coated with rata vines and takes in breathtaking views of the island and beyond.
The flight back returns you to Auckland Airport at 5.45pm.
- Moderate level of walking ability required
- Comfortable walking shoes and suitable outdoor clothing required.
- Subject to weather conditions for flight
- Tour in conjunction with Fly My Sky
- Free pick up from inner city accommodation
- Price per person includes flights, breakfast and picnic lunch
- Full day tour with spectacular and scenic walks around the island
- Time for swimming
- Visit working cattle and sheep farm
- Runs every day (except Christmas Day) 7.15am–5.30pm from Auckland Airport
- Minimum 2 passengers
- Frequency: Departs daily
- Departure Point: Auckland Inner City free pick up included.
- Departure Time: 6:30am
- Duration: 11 hours approximately
- Return Details: Flight arrives back at Auckland Airport at approx 5.45pm and you will be transferred back to your inner city accommodation from there.
- Closed: Christmas Day
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel.
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated.
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher.
This is a specialised small group tour. It is designed to give the visitor an intimate and memorable experience of Auckland’s wilderness without any impact on the environment and wildlife. Each tour is led by an experienced guide with extensive knowledge of native flora and fauna and an awareness for client and environmental safety.
Enhance Your Visit To New Zealand
If you are joining one of our independent coach tours, escorted coach tours, short break holidays or self drive tours and have a free day or two, why not add the 'Aucklands Untamed Island Tour' to your New Zealand itinerary?